Taking advantage of new opportunities in South Australia
A small interest group with representation from IHASA, farmers, building and construction, clothing manufacture, PIRSA and the Office of Industrial Hemp and Medicinal Cannabis met in Adelaide on 10 November 2018 to discuss how best the industry should be organised to take advantage of the new opportunities for SA.
There was general agreement that:
- A 5 to 10 year Strategic Plan would be developed
- The agronomy is critical to success
- Seed would be the initial target crop
- Important to quantify the cost/returns for crops
- Markets would dictate the growth of the industry
- SA likely to have competitive advantage in food products
- Collaborative cluster development could be a potential industry model.
The licence holders also meet from time to time with PIRSA to exchange information and share experiences.
If you would like to be involved in future discussions on industry development, please contact the Office of Industrial Hemp and Medicinal Cannabis call us on 08 8303 2400 or email OfficeIHMC@sa.gov.au.